Oct 01, 2017
RIPON, Wis. - The Illinois Tech men's soccer team trekked north to Wisconsin to oppose Ripon College. Tech outshot the Redhawks 18-5 in a 2-0 win.
How it Happened
- In a dominant first half, the Scarlet Hawks outshot the Redhawks 11-2 and outcornered the hosts 6-0. Ripon netminder Cole Jurish made nine saves to keep the Scarlet Hawks at bay.
- Tech was able to score in the 39th minute thanks to Michael Podsiadly. He tallied on a deflection off of a defender, capitalizing on the chance to give Tech the 1-0 lead.
- In the second half, the dominant play continued, but another six saves by Ripon kept the hosts in the match.
- Noah Kwortnik scored for the third time this season in the 69th minute, tallying on a Norikazu Honda assist off of a corner kick.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Podsiadly scored his first goal of the season while Kowrtnik tallied his third.
- Anastasios Manolis earned a shoutout and his first win of the season in net.
- Brandon-Bortei Doku led Tech in shots with five.
- Honda added an assist.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks moved to 5-3-1 with the win. Ripon fell to 2-9-1.
- Tech has yet to be outshot in a match this season. The Scarlet Hawks have attempted more shots than the opponent in eight of nine matches, with the ninth match being a 19-19 tie (Sept. 3 vs. Simpson).
- The final corner kick count on Sunday as 12-2 in favor of Tech.