CHICAGO, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's soccer team could not have started its season any better on Friday night. Facing the Beloit College Buccaneers, the Scarlet Hawks scored five first-half goals en route to a 7-0 win at Stuart Field.
How it Happened
- In the fourth minute, Matthew Beasley's first shot of his collegiate career was one to remember. The freshman fired a shot from about 20 yards out and to the left, rattling it off the post and into the net to put Tech up 1-0.
- The 19th minute was memorable as well, with Tech scoring twice. Noah Kwortnik scored on a Conner Shaw assist before Michael Kaczowka scored 28 seconds later.
- Kaczowka was not done, as the freshman scored again off of a Shaw assist in the 32nd minute to put Tech up 4-0.
- Tech made it five to close out the half, with Justin Knust making a great feed to Manuel Lopez from a few feet out.
- Once again, Kaczowka made his presence felt. Scoring off a goalie deflection, the freshman tallied a goal in the 63rd minute to complete a hat trick in his collegiate debut.
- The scoring was capped off by Zach Whritenour, as the senior captain knocked in a penalty kick in the 68th minute.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- To say Kaczowka had a nice collegiate debut would be a grand understatement. The freshman scored three times on three shots.
- Beasley (four shots, three on net), Kwortnik (two shots), Whritenour, and Lopez added the rest of the goals.
- Shaw (two) and Justin Knust (one) provided Tech's assists.
- Alex Kern recorded a 90-minute shutout and six saves.
Stats to Know
- Tech was ultra-efficient with its chances. The Scarlet Hawks converted 7-of-11 shots on goal, including the team's first three of the match.
- Overall, Tech outshot Beloit 24-9.
- The Scarlet Hawks are back home on Saturday, September 7 when the team hosts UW-Whitewater for a 7:00 p.m. contest. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.