Feb 11, 2017
ELSAH, Ill. – The Illinois Tech men's swimming and diving team wrapped up the Liberal Arts Conference Championships on Saturday night at Principia College. Tech placed third, the team's best finish since 2013.
- It was a strong victory for Karsen Diepholz in the 1650 Yard Freestyle, as he won the event by over nine seconds with a school, LAC, conference meet, and pool record time of 16:02.14 (he also set a new 1000 Yard Freestyle school record of 9:44.64 during the swim). The 1650 time was also an NCAA National B-Cut. Miles Thompson (fourth place, 16:34.60) and Zachary Bonson (seventh place, 16:51.88) also placed in the top ten. Tristan Busch (18:00.82) finshed 16th.
- Brendan Howley also won an event, capturing first place in the 200 Yard Breaststroke (2:02.37) with a new school record time. His time was also a NCAA National B-Cut and invited time from 2016.
- Jay Korhonen (sixth place, 1:58.89), Julian Escasa (seventh place, 2:00.28), and Luke Workman (11th place, 2:02.96) all reached the finals in the 200 Yard Butterfly.
- In the 100 Yard Freestyle, Escasa placed in a tie for seventh with a time of 47.85s.
- The 400 Yard Freestyle Relay team of Escasa, Workman, Diepholz, and Howley placed third with a time of 3:11.05.
- David Polzin placed fifth in the 1 Meter Diving with a score of 308.75.
- Ryan Lakner (14th place, 2:03.23), Benjamin Cohen (15th place, 2:07.12), and John Wolniak (16th place, 2:07.18) all reached the finals in the 200 Yard Backstroke.
Final Team Scores
- Franklin 750
- Nebraska Wesleyan 548
- Illinois Tech 463.5
- Luther 433.5
- Coe 335
- Loras 311
- Morningside 274
- Principia 180
- Simpson 132