CHICAGO, Ill. -- The Illinois Tech Men's Volleyball team split a pair of matches at the Keating Sports Center Saturday. The Scarlet Hawks dropped a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference match to Lakeland in the afternoon then defeated Maranatha Baptist in the evening on Saturday.
The Muskies (5-8, 2-5 NACC) defeated the Scarlet Hawks (1-10, 1-6 NACC) in three sets, 25-17, 25-20, 25-21. Illinois Tech (2-10) then defeated the Sabercats (0-19) in three sets, 25-13, 25-14, 33-31.
How It Happened (Lakeland Match)
- Lakeland won the opening set, 25-17, both teams struggled on the attack during the first set.
- The Muskies took the second set, 25-20 and had control of the match 2-0.
- Illinois Tech tried to keep the match alive by forcing a fourth set, after being tied 17-17, Lakeland scored 8 out of the last 12 points to sweep the match, 3-0.
How It Happened (Maranatha Baptist Match)
- Illinois Tech turned it around from their afternoon match after getting swept they came back and swept the Sabercats.
- The Scarlet Hawks won the first set, 25-13, after hitting an outstanding .469.
- Maranatha Baptist looked to tied the match at one set a piece after both teams traded points in the early going. With the score, 8-8, Illinois Tech rallied for 10 straight points and did more of the same in the second set, winning it 25-16, after hitting a .400 as a team.
- The Sabercats trying to hang on and force that fourth set, they did not go away easily, as they led 15-10 in the third set but the Scarlet Hawks fought back.
- Maranatha also led 24-22 sitting on set point but Illinois Tech fought back and tied it 24-24.
- With it being 24-24, both teams would exchange points back-and-forth until 31 then the Scarlet Hawks scored the last two points of the set to take the match.
Scarlet Hawk Leaders (Lakeland Match)
- Andriy Bench had 12 kills for the Scarlet Hawks which led all attackers for Illinois Tech.
- Lukasz Kupiec recorded seven kills and six digs.
- Michael Ganczar picked up 31 assists for Illinois Tech in the setback.
Scarlet Hawk Leaders (Maranatha Baptist Match)
- Easton Kays led the Scarlet Hawks with 16 kills and hitting an outstanding .636.
- Evan Robeck and Eric Adam each had eight kills.
- Derek Bostick recorded 15 digs for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Michael Ganczar had 46 assists as the setter for Illinois Tech in the victory.
- Illinois Tech returns to action Wednesday, March 6 as the Scarlet Hawks travel to the No. 3 team in the country as they travel to Benedictine to take on the Eagles starting at 7:00 p.m. CT.