DENVER, Colo. – The Illinois Tech women's volleyball team (2-5) played two matches at the Johnson and Wales Tournament on Saturday out west. Both of those matches went the way of the Scarlet Hawks, downing Mills 3-0 and JWU-Denver 3-2.
Set Scores – Mills Match
- Tech 3, Mills 0 (25-16, 25-6, 25-18)
Match Highlights and Notes – Mills Match
- The tale of the numbers was the same in pretty much all three sets. Tech would dominate on the attack, tallying double-digit kills and a hit percentage north of .125% in all three sets.
- Tech also held Mills at .000% or in the negatives in each.
- The second set was particularly dominant, with the Scarlet Hawks outhitting Mills .346% to -.152%.
- Digs also were heavily in Tech's favor, outdoing Mills 67-51.
- Individually, Jessica Weaver had eight kills, two block assists, and a team-best .571 hit percentage. Justine Bracco led the team with nine kills while tallying two total blocks and a .353 hit percentage of her own.
- Allison Wilkins controlled the match at setter with 17 assists and 10 digs.
- In the back row, Sinjin Acuna tallied 19 digs to lead the team.
- Zoey Kriethe was impressive in her two sets, tallying seven assists, nine digs, and leading the team with three service aces.
Set Scores- JWU Match
- Tech 3, JWU 2 (22-25, 25-22, 15-25, 25-18, 15-9)
Match Highlights and Notes – JWU Match
- As the scores suggest, Tech's offense and defense found another gear in the last two sets, hitting .242% and .190% in the fourth and fifth while holding the hosts to .000% in both.
- The strong end to the match helped the team edge the Wildcats in hit percentage on the day .140% to .127%.
- All weekend, Tech controlled the back row and at the net. It was no different against JWU, with Tech out digging the Wildcats 87-79 and out blocking the hosts 13.5-7.
- Sara Hassel had 17 kills for the second time in three games to lead the team. She also led Tech with four total blocks.
- Karen Marrufo-Zubaran had another double-double of 11 kills and 16 digs.
- Bracco had her second straight strong match with eight kills, a .227 hit percentage and four total blocks.
- Both Wilkins (28 assists, 16 digs) and Courtney Darling (15 assists, 13 digs) were strong at setter.
- Acuna once again had 22 digs to lead the Hawks. She also tallied two aces.
- Tuesday night marks Tech's first home match of 2019 as the team takes on North Central College. Live audio, video, and stats will be available for the 7:00 p.m. match in the Keating Sports Center, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.